Disinfection of implements and surfaces is very important when performing direct-touch services on another person, no matter the industry. For that reason, infection control is a serious responsibility for the professionals in our industry, one that is poorly performed by many though with strict adherence by others. Those who adhere to proper levels of infection control want good and reliable products, while ease of use and safety are important, also.
We, at Nailcare Academy have been waiting for the Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide (AHP) disinfectant to be approved in the US for years! AHP disinfection products (Rejuvenate™ and Prevention™ HLD8) are manufactured by Virox Technologies, Inc., and are now available for the beauty industry in both surface and immersion products. The Virox AHP products have the highest approval available – EPA and FDA approval, for use in the medical, dental and beauty industries.
Following are some benefits of AHP:
- Prevention HDL8TM from Virox does not need dilution for high-level disinfection of implements – it is full strength so the dangers of incorrect dilution are gone. Just pour and go! One of the problems in our industry in implementing infection control is correct dilution of our disinfection products in water.
- The necessary change of Prevention HDL8TM immersion liquid is approved for 21 days – no more changing it every day. Our industry is well known for our “forgetting” to change the disinfectant. Test strips are also available to check the efficacy of the immersion product along the way.
- At last! A non-toxic-to-the-environment (and to us) disinfectant – when you put this product down the drain it breaks down into water and oxygen. No other disinfection product is that safe. Our prior products were dangerous to put down the drain, and PPEs were an absolute must in using them. Now you use PPEs to protect you from dirty implements, not from the disinfectant.
- Eight (8) minutes immersion for implement disinfection – this is less time than the prior products. Prior products were 10-20 minutes for disinfection.
- The level of “kill” reached by AHP is higher than our standard salon immersion products, which has been defined by the CDC as “intermediate level”–this system meets the criteria for “High Level” disinfection according to the CDC.
Are there any concerns about AHP? In the past, some formulations have caused inferior metal implements to turn black. However, Virox has carefully calibrated their mixtures and if you “buy right” as we discuss in our programs, and don’t allow them to soak overnight, good stainless steel implements are unaffected by the AHP immersion products.
A full range of products to meet our needs are available:
- Surfaces and Non-Circulating Foot Bath Disinfection: Rejuvenate™ Ready to Use liquid and Wipes
- Foot Bath Disinfection: Rejuvenate ™ Concentrate
- Implement Disinfection: Prevention ™ HLD8 High Level Disinfectant
This product is fully explained and use is instructed in the Advanced Nail Technician Program. If you are a prior graduate, we suggest you go into the program and click through to learn about AHP. Current attendees will find a discussion of the product in Module 4 plus instruction sheets on both the surface and immersion products are available to download in Module 10. This is a new and different line of disinfection products so it’s best to seek out full information prior to use.
With the dramatic changes in health of the population in the US since 2000, many clients in our services are slow to heal or fast to become infected. If the person has even a tiny wound from a dirty implement, they may have severe consequences…and the possibilities of poor healing illnesses in the US increase yearly. For example, according to the CDC, in 2000 5.8% of Americans had diagnosed or undiagnosed diabetes. But in 2017, diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes was near to 17%. Diabetics whose feet become infected are slow healing or do not heal at all and may lose a toe, a foot, their leg or even their life. Times have changed, and nail technicians must increase their awareness of safety for their clients or potentials for dire consequences rise dramatically.
Where to Purchase AHP
Some of our favorite distributors are now carrying AHP products:
2323 Delprado Blvd.
Cape Coral, FL 33990
Cordoza Nail Supply
140 W Grant St ,
Lebanon , Oregon , 97355
1350 Ritchey St,
Santa Ana, CA 92705